Thursday, September 8, 2011

Yummy Favors

Hi All! Sorry I'm posting so late in the week. My husband and I moved last weekend and our Internet service is STILL not connected. Ugh, so I am writing to you from campus, in between classes of course.

My latest creation endeavor is taking place in just 2 weeks, but ever the prepared secretary I am planning and plotting now. And since it's fresh in my mind, I thought I would share with you guys how to make this creation into a wonderful part of your shower, wedding or holiday celebration.

I LOVE to bake, probably because I have a sweet tooth but never mind that. This idea originated from a blog post I found when looking for shower ideas for my sister-in-law Alisha. At the time it was a little blog called Hostess with the Mostess done by a fabulous young woman and since she has grown into an even more fabulous website filled with fantastic ideas and pictures. Check out her site here Hostess with the Mostess  Anywho, she did a lingerie shower for a friend and as favors she did these adorable corset shaped sugar cookies. I do sugar cookies at christmas every year so it didn't seem that difficult to do. You could use these cookies as favors for any celebration and I love the idea of sending guests home with something delicious instead on the usual mints, picture frame or some other useless thing that YOU spent way too much money on and your guests will probably throw in a drawer never to be seen again.

I ordered my corset shaped cookie cutter from Copper Gifts, they have tons of cookie cutters in every size and shape imaginable. And for my upcoming endeavor, I ordered a heart shaped and round cutter. I baked my cookies 2 days before I needed them because I wanted to put the cookies in nice clear bags so that the guests could admire the decorations. The royal icing needs to dry over night so that it doesn't stick to the bag and become a big gloopy mess. So 2 days is just enough time and the cookies won't dry out as long as you store them properly. (Flat, in a dry place. Try not to stack them as they may stick together. If you need to stack them place a layer of wax paper between the layers) Of course I planned and plotted how I wanted to make sure my cookies were beautiful so I studied! Check out University of Cookie for great how to videos and tutorials. These ladies are super professional and creative and I can only hope to be that good one day. In total I made about 50 cookies.


I did my cookies in pink icing with white lining and strategically placed pearl sprinkles. It matched the decor well. The bag was tied with a kelly green ribbon and a little tag that read "Thank You". Finally I displayed them in a big white basket, near the door so guests could grab them on their way out.


The girls who attended the shower loved them and the leftovers were eaten by Alisha's fiance and his friends who said it was weird eating a corset cookie but they were too yummy to care. Now THAT is some high praise!

Here are some other ideas for edible gifts:
Mason jars filled with ingredients for cookies or biscuits
Popcorn! In cones or small baskets
A miniature version of your favorite dessert

If you are not culinarily inclined, you can still use this idea. Go to your favorite bakery and order a batch of your favorite cookies. Then it's just all about the packaging! And voile you have a fabulous favor.

I'll be sure to post pics of my creative endeavor in 2 weeks!
Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment